The community is bounded roughly by English Bay, Alma Street, 16th Avenue, and University Endowment Lands.
The municipality of Point Grey was created, in 1908, when it severed ties with South Vancouver.
After making large-scale infrastructure improvements between 1908 and 1912, development in the area still lagged. In response, land not improved was taxed. Subsequently, the area boomed.
Between 1921 and 1967, Jericho Beach was the site of the Royal Canadian Air Force's Pacific Coast Station. Upon its closure, the land was redeveloped into a park.